[KaohsiungLiving] Kaohsiung Living Forum
2nd Hand Smoking Laws
  • DRNDRN
    Does anyone have the down low on Taiwan's laws regarding 2nd hand smoke affecting another individual's housing?  We were perfectly happy in our apartment until some new people moved in below us who apparently think the best fun in the world is smoking in their bathroom.  Now, I do know for a fact that our apartment complex has rules against smoking in bathrooms and I'm pretty sure it's against the law.  But you know how it can be in Taiwan and the way rules and laws are ignored constantly.

We've talked to the building manager about it and our landlord about it but no one seems interested in doing anything about this problem as it's "just the way things are."

Well, "the way things are" is destroying my property, having negative effects on my family's health, and ruining our perfectly happy experience in our apartment.  Some might say, "just move" but why should I have to move because someone else can't follow the rules?  I'm to the point where I'm considering some sort of legal action.  Does anyone have any experience with this, knowledge of the process or suggestions on the best way to handle this?
  • TwMichael14TwMichael14
    I know how you feel sir or mam.. But I'm betting here in Taiwan the standards aren't as high as Western countries.. Even tho I am a smoker I never smoke in the house.. But I know people who do.. It's really unfortunate for you and your family to have to smell smoke when you're in your home.. Maybe you can try putting a cup over the drain in the bathroom.. See if that helps.. Best of luck.
  • YeshiYeshi
    This is against the law and they can be fined.  Contact the EPA and file a formal complaint with them via their hotline (it's listed under the pesticide warning post), and make sure you check back with them to ensure they are actually on top of it.
    You have questions, we have answers!
    講國語的會員有問題的話,歡迎您跟我聯絡!
  • TwMichael14TwMichael14
    I must say Yeshi, you do a great job at providing information.. Thanks!
  • YeshiYeshi
    My pleasure!  Dealing with the government is not always easy, but if you complain and harass them enough, they will eventually do what they need to do. :)
    You have questions, we have answers!
    講國語的會員有問題的話,歡迎您跟我聯絡!
  • DRNDRN
    I'll have to look into that.