[KaohsiungLiving] Kaohsiung Living Forum
Wanted - smart phone and bicycle
  • brixtonboybrixtonboy
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a 2nd hand smart phone - preferably iphone but any will do - needs to be unblocked though for taiwan sim. also, on the lookout for a cheap bicycle..
    cheers
  • kbaum254kbaum254
    You can buy 2nd hand smart phones on the used phone store street.  If your heading south on Bo ai,  go over the bridge and make left on Liouhe. (The same street as the Liouhe Market is on).  If you've hit the park you have gone too far.  They probably won't have an iphone but plenty of smart phones for $2000NT.  
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @kbaum254

Great info.

Thank you.

Mo

Ps. Can you post a Google map link please
  • LighthouseLighthouse
    @brixtonboy

Welcome to the best community forum site in South Taiwan.

The one and only KL.ORG :D

What is your budget for both items?

Forget worm ridden Apple products and join Team Android. ;-)

Good luck.... Good to have another Brit on the site.

Mo

• PharmDTaiwanPharmDTaiwan
    @lighthouse
    I have had the exact opposite experience.  I owned 4 android phones before finally giving up on them.  They all ended up with soooo many bugs after time and were super slow.
    I got an iPhone, but it was a painful decision.  I didn't want to be "one of those apple people," but at least now my phone works.
  • dreadlockjaydreadlockjay
    Could not agree more, @PharmDTaiwan. I had more than a few problems with Android (and might still give them a shot), but my iPhone was wonderful. Still haven't decided what I will do for my smartphone needs here yet. Maybe I'll swing by that used phone street.
    http//:www.dreadlocktravels.com
  • brixtonboybrixtonboy
    @kbaum254 thanks for that.  I'll go and check it out - getting an iphone isn't that important its just that i've used them before and had no problems but any smart phone with 3g internet, google maps etc.. will do. i would pay around 4000/5000 NT for a phone but if i can get one for 2000 thats a bonus!... for a bicycle I'm only looking to pay about 1000/1500
    cheers
  • brixtonboybrixtonboy
    just an update - I managed to buy a iPhone 3g for 1800 from that place near Liouhe. The home button is a bit knackered but it will do me.  still on the lookout for a cheap 2nd hand bike though..
  • williamlee1682williamlee1682
    If you want to buy a 2nd hand bike under 1500, I can tell u a place only sell for 2nd bikes.
  • RaymonRaymon
    The is a bike repair store in nanzi, all 2nd hands bikes cost 850...
  • MaynaMayna
    There's a second hand bike shop in YenChen Area which offers decent bikes for $1000.  It's about 15-20 mins walk from Yen Chen MRT station.  The owner is nice and honest.  The address is 14 Fuyeah Road. 鹽埕區富野路14號 Tel: 07-5612016, 0988350587. 
    Thanked by 1brixtonboy
  • arlenearlene
    @Mayna thanks for the info and address. 

@Raymon and @williamlee1682 if you could post an address or Google map link, that would be great for members interested in checking out those places.
  • williamlee1682williamlee1682
    at here
    Can someone advise on getting a used smartphone activated. It is my understanding that it is still quite expensive as you have to pay for a year of service upfront. I don't mind signing a contract, but if it's only going to be slightly cheaper to activate a used device, I'd just rather buy a new one. Can you somehow avoid paying for a tear of service upfront by bringing in your own device? Any and all advice is appreciated.
  • RaymonRaymon
    If you buy a locked 2nd hands you would be crazy, I had my own phone and bought a sim only subscription store installed it and configured my phone right there. Only hassle was phone didn't support Chinese and employees didn't understand English but they figured it out in 20 minutes...
  • RaymonRaymon
    Doesn't matter if you buy prepaid or contract as far as I know...
  • brixtonboybrixtonboy

@mayna thanks.. will take a look tomorrow.
  • RestlessHeartRestlessHeart
    I recently purchased a used HTC Sensation Z710e Android smart phone on the used smart phone street (Liouhe) for $4500 after browsing several stores and several phones in the neighbourhood with a Taiwanese translator by my side.

The phone included a 6 month in-store warranty. Of course, there is a chance that that this "Mom n Pop" business could close up shop, so it is a risk that I am willing to live with in order to take advantage of the big savings!

When I took the phone home I immediately realized that I was unable to use the wifi function!

Luckily I took it back in the next day, they switched it for another of the same model and so far it works great!

The store was called Asia Communication. The clerk was named Fish. Their phone number is 0915345087 or 072371919. The staff speak Mandarin only.

The location was right about here: http://goo.gl/maps/ZEoHj

Good luck!

-Dave
    Thanked by 1arlene
    @RestlessHeart please inform us on your plans for getting service on your smartphone. 
  • RestlessHeartRestlessHeart
    @dreadlockjay, I'm not actually on a cell phone plan. I'm still using pay as you go credits that I purchase from 7-11.

-Dave
  • mel_a16mel_a16
    @Raymon whereabouts was this bicycle repair place in Nanzi? :)
    Math Teacher in Kaohsiung
    FB: Little Bohah
  • mrgonemrgone

Sadly, that place, formerly overflowing with used bikes, is now gone: nothing there but a slab of new cement and a "For Rent" sign. If anyone knows of their fate, please post.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Chinese Idiom

一丝不苟

yī sī bù gǒu

to be meticulous

Top Posters